Thursday, September 23, 2010

Barbara Kruger Style Picture


What I like.
The elements I like about this is firstly, the direction of the words. In my opinion, the direction makes the eye travel across the picture better than if they had been solely in a horizontal line across the edges like I was originally going to do or being choppy or sporatic across the page. I also like how the word "ghosts" is highlighted by there being no box around the word and the letters are a different colour.

What I dislike.
The elements I dilike in this photo are how the black and white took away alot of the feeling for me in the original picture. I also dislike that the word "prisoner" makes my eye kind of stop in the middle of the image. If there was a way to keep the direction of the words but not making my eye hesitate on "prisoner" then I would like the picture much better.

The message.
The message I am trying to express with this image and these words is that when somone is abused by a family member or a romantic partner at a relatively young age, the horrors stay with you as you grow up, no matter if much better things have happened to you since then. You are literally haunted by your past and it affects your life.

1 comment:

  1. Riley, I like how open-ended this is. The choice of words and photography is very much in the style of Barbara Kruger. Good work.

    ReplyDelete